We want to shift attitudes at home, in the workplace and in public provision for equality, and to do this there are many steps we can take.
What needs to happen?
- Women need to speak up and have difficult conversations at home (if safe to do so) and trust men to take on their fair share
- Women need to support other women; men need to support women; we all need to support each other
- Men need to build an understanding of women’s reality – and men need to step up to the plate – men need to talk about chores and childcare!
- Men need to see other men taking on fair share of responsibilities – that being the norm– and see the positive impact on the relationship and their lives
- Workplaces need to consider shared parental leave and flexible working as the norm; senior leaders need to demonstrate that flexible working works and we need more senior leaders as role models showing this can work
- Institutions need to remove bias around women and care and chores
- Government needs more female, diverse and inclusive representation from all sections of society.